English English

A community development scheme is a type of strata title development (see next question) that allows for a variety of land tenure arrangements and flexible governance structures.

A strata title is a type of land tenure. You own your title outright (like owning your own house and land) and can borrow against it and leave it as an inheritance. Your title also includes rights and ownership of common property. At Tasman Ecovillage your title includes ownership of 19 acres of common ground and community facilities.

Sometimes called the Owners Corporation, the body corporate is the governing body for a strata title scheme and consists of all title owners in the scheme.

Our community (owners and residents) makes these decisions.

There are currently around 30 full-time residents (including children!) in the village, plus various visitors, WWOOFers and helpers, depending on the season. Several other members own investment property in the village but live offsite.

You can build as soon as you have Building Approval from Tasman Council.

You can, but we are a growing community and would like participants to build and live here (or rent out their property).

Buildings at Tasman Ecovillage must comply with all relevant state and federal building codes. As well as this, we have developed our own Residential Building Design Guidelines that will assist you to align your home with the ethos of our village. The guidelines aim to be flexible whilst offering villagers some certainty over what will be built here.

Yes, with approval from the body corporate. We envisage large sheds and workshops as part of our common facilities for the village.


Possibly yes, with body corporate approval. You may also build two conjoined dwellings on one title.

All lots in the main part of the village are zoned commercial / residential so yes, you can run a small business from home, providing it does not interfere with the “quiet amenity” of your neighbours.

The body corporate is responsible for maintaining the common property. We engage an external management company, Tas Strata and Property Group, to assist us with this. They manage our major accounts, issue levy notices to owners and pay invoices on our behalf. An onsite committee of residents liaises with the company on behalf of the community.

Fat Beets Food Hub manages the growing, harvesting and distribution of food from a market garden on community owned land. Other gardens are managed by volunteers from the community and WWOOFers/helpers. Food can also be grown in and around your own lot and within your pod.

Underground grid hydro power, village water supply (non-potable) and sewerage are provided to all lots. Fixed wireless NBN is also available.

There is no town water supply in Nubeena. Our water is harvested from the roofs of the buildings, and pumped from the creek, the dam and the bore depending on availability. Dams supply water for agriculture. Potable water is provided in multiple locations on common ground and dwellings in the Pods tend to have their own rainwater tank for drinking/cooking purposes.

Yes, you are encouraged to do so. We are also investigating community energy systems.

Yes, composting toilets are permissible and encouraged.

The medium density and layout of the pods naturally creates a strong sense of community and already existing community buildings provide opportunities to gather as a community. In terms of privacy, we encourage you to build this into the design of your home. As well, many of the lots provide ample opportunity for making private open space within the lot. For example, the lots on the northern boundary have a private aspect to the north and some of the lots in Pod C could include a private garden looking out into the trees. Community involvement and interaction, whilst encouraged, is entirely voluntary.

Conflict is not a dirty word! In our community it is seen as a gift, and an opportunity to access the wisdom of the group and for personal growth. That said, we are committed to learning and practising ‘Nonviolent’ or ‘Compassionate’ communication and we have conflict resolution procedures in our Body Corporate bylaws. Good group process (transparent and inclusive decision-making) and community glue (activities that contribute to group cohesion) both contribute to creating a harmonious community.

Tasman Ecovillage Association (TEVA) is the main decision-making body in the village. The Association consists of property owners and residents so everyone can contribute to the process. We meet regularly and make decisions using the principles of Sociocracy.

Sociocracy, also known as dynamic governance, is a system of governance that seeks to achieve solutions that create harmonious social environments as well as productive organisations and businesses. It is frequently adopted by intentional communities as a effective way of organising the ‘business of community’ and as a transparent and fair way of making decisions.

The blocks have been kept deliberately small to encourage dwellings with a smaller footprint, promote social interaction and keep space for food production and community facilities. The lots allow for a reasonable size dwelling and some surrounding personal space. By sharing resources and facilities we don’t need larger homes that are costly in terms of the environment and our hip pocket.

We actively seek to reduce our collective footprint. We recycle what we can internally and compost all our organic waste. We live in small, energy-efficient homes that have a small environmental footprints. We aim to share resources wherever possible. We grow a lot of our food organically onsite. We can walk or cycle to local services and share transport whenever possible. We are working towards generating renewable energy for our homes. We practice shared decision-making processes and we create opportunities to work, play and eat together to make our daily lives easier and generally more wonderful!

A circle signifies unity and oneness, as well as the nature of life cycles. We think this symbolism and aesthetics is a good foundation for a community ecovillage. It’s good to think outside the square! Some lots have already been ‘squared off’ and, if you require more space for your dwelling, you may apply to square up your lot.

Traditional fencing is discouraged within the village but yes, if you need fencing for children or pets (or to keep the native animals out of your home garden!) it is possible – with approval from the owner’s corporation and with reference to the Design Guidelines for the village. You could consider living fences and hedges as well.

You can manage areas around your dwelling for personal use. You could also create a garden with your neighbours within your pod. As well, there are already some community gardens, which supply the community kitchen and residents, and we encourage you to become involved in their care.

Some pets are allowed under certain conditions. The Pet Policy forms part of the bylaws for the community development scheme and is available on request.

Some employment is available within the broader community on the Peninsula in administration, teaching, tourism, aged/health care, hospitality and farming. Given the availability of the National Broadband Network (NBN) in Nubeena, you can also work remotely, run a business from home, or perhaps work part-time in the city. Remember, too, that if your living costs are lower, you don’t need to earn as much!

The CDF was established to provide funds for constructing community facilities and upgrading infrastructure to bring it more into line with our Vision. CDF contributions come from a percentage of the initial sale of each lot from the developer and from a percentage of Body Corporate fees. Regular repairs and maintenance costs come from separate body corporate administrative and sinking funds.

Body Corporate levies are $2700 per year, which includes a 2% Community Development Fund levy and a component (approx $300) to cover all common and private buildings insurance (including your house). The Body Corporate levy is discounted by 50% for up to 12 months after the initial sale for vacant lots. Council rates are around $630 per year on an unimproved lot (based on a lot valued at $55,000) and around $1200 per year on an improved lot (based on a lot valued at $55,000 and a house valued at $150,000) and TasWater charge about $400 per year while the lot is vacant and then about $660 per year when you connect to the sewer. Land tax is due on vacant land or on a property that is not your primary residence and is a percentage of the value of the land. For example, land tax on a $59,000 lot is $325 per year.

Demand for rental accommodation in the local area is high and it is likely that housing you own in the village - either directly or through a self-managed super fund - could easily be rented for short or long-term accommodation. Tenants are encouraged to participate in community life and those staying longer than six months are required to apply for TEVA Membership.

Sorry, the Recreation Room is currently off limits until repairs can be done.

Each lot has a designated car space on common ground in a car parking area at the edge of the pod. There are parking spots allocated for overflow parking for visitors.

Long-term rental accommodation is sometimes available and we are working on creating some short stay accommodation. You could also look into our help exchange programme and apply to live in the village in exchange for your labour.

Tassielink has a daily bus service to and from Hobart from Monday to Saturday. The Nubeena district school, supermarket, post office, doctors, chemist and bakery are less than a 5 minute walk from the village.

We occasionally advertise Open Days on our website when we welcome visitors to the village and invite them to enjoy a taste of our village life. Outside of these days, we do try to accommodate casual visitors, but please note that we are a residential community and unless you have a prior arrangement, there may not always be someone available to show you around. If you are interested in visiting us, please contact us.